Music, as an abstract form of sound art, serves as a catalyst for people’s imagination and creativity. Within the school environment, music education is a source of inspiration for students to cultivate their musical skills, enhance their personal qualities and social emotions, and acquire foundational knowledge for perceiving and creating music works throughout their lives.
Vinschool’s Music curriculum is meticulously developed to blend global and traditional Vietnamese music, creating a harmonious fusion of knowledge and skills. This arouses their empathy and pride in the cultural heritage of the nation, while also preparing them to integrate and thrive as global citizens.
The Music curriculum at Vinschool is designed in two primary stages. In the initial stage (grades 1-9), the curriculum focuses on imparting foundational knowledge and musical skills. In the second stage (grades 10-12), Music is an elective subject, affording students the opportunity to engage in listening, rehearsals, performances, and composition. These experiences are intended to foster the development of aesthetics, emotions, self-discipline, and, most importantly, creativity. As a result, learners will demonstrate their understanding when evaluating and appreciating music, providing an ideal foundation for enhancing their quality of life and preparing for future music learning.
As a practical subject, Music forges students’ skills, qualities, and knowledge through experiential learning. The program enables students to engage with music as listeners, composers, and performers. The Music class provides an ideal environment for students to develop self-expression and confidence through collaborative performance. Furthermore, it increases students’ awareness of the importance of communication and problem-solving.
Students are also encouraged to recognize that artistic expression in music is not confined to any single style. Instead, they are guided to apply their fundamental musical skills and knowledge across various genres and new musical endeavors. Both subjective and objective perspectives play an essential role in the process of creating, performing, and comprehending music. Core skills and rigorous assessment standards serve as the foundation for artists to establish a connection with music and as a means for them to openly explore new musical genres.
2. Course Objectives:
- Vinschool’s Music curriculum plays a vital role in shaping students’ foundation for lifelong learning. It aims to:
- Foster curiosity about the world and enthusiasm for learning
- Equip students with necessary knowledge and skills to apply in various subjects.
- Promote effective and confident communication.
- Cultivate self-awareness, social understanding, global mindset, and global citizenship mindset.
- The Music program for Primary and Secondary school students aims to:
- Cultivate a love for music through meaningful and enjoyable experiences.
- Develop essential knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for thinking and contributing as an artist.
- Connect with others expressively and purposefully through singing and playing musical instruments.
- Nurture individual and collaborative creativity.
- Apply acquired knowledge to explore and create music that is unique, meaningful, and valuable.
- The Music program for High School students aims to:
- Facilitate and consolidate their musical knowledge and skills through engagement in listening, performance, and composition activities.
- Cultivate students’ awareness and critical thinking skills regarding Western music styles and periods.
- Enable students to comprehend and appreciate music from diverse cultures, with a special focus on Vietnamese culture and music. The process, in turn, fosters their ability to discern both the commonalities and distinctions among the cultures.
- Establish a solid foundation for the cultivation of music appreciation skills and the pursuit of advanced music education.
- The Music curriculum aims to instill these core values in students:
- Responsibility – Students will understand that music serves as a medium for conveying ideas, experiences, and emotions. This awareness empowers them to make thoughtful and creative decisions when engaging in practical activities. Additionally, students will explore and appreciate the significance of music for local and global communities.
- Creativity – Students are encouraged to experiment with new musical ideas, instruments, sounds, and techniques. They will learn to adapt their musical ideas, understanding that artists are not limited to a single style of musical creativity.
- Confidence – As passionate artists, students will embark on a journey of exploration, experimentation, and risk-taking to enhance their musical skills. Through performance activities, they will cultivate confidence, effectively expressing themselves and honing their ability to connect with audiences and fellow artists.
- Inquisitiveness – Students will delve into various music genres originating from various cultures, historical periods and geographic locations. The approach will transform them into not only curious music enthusiasts and proficient performers, but also individuals capable of insightful discussions about music. This understanding will empower them to independently and collaboratively create and perform music.
- Receptiveness – Students will experience the impact of music on both themselves and others, learning to listen to the audience’s feedback and reactions. Through reflection on their own and others’ works, they will develop the capacity to perceive and provide constructive feedback. Furthermore, they will actively seek and appreciate input from others, fostering a deepened connection and affection for their compositions and performances.