The Academic English Writing for Grades 11 and 12 at Vinschool is a two-semester course for Grade 11 and 12 students who have already successfully completed Stage 11 or have taken the IELTS Test, with a band of 7.0 or higher.
This will continue, if not sustain, the students’ exposure to English in preparation for the university studies and will teach them the skills that they will need for university and for life.
The overall purpose of this course is to improve students’ writing skills as well as their level of fluency in academic settings. The development of essential concepts of academic writing, such as clarity, coherence, critical thinking, and effective communication, is the primary focus of this course. Students will learn how to produce diverse academic documents, such as essays, research papers, and reports, in accordance with the requirements and conventions of academic writing through a combination of lectures, discussions, and practical writing activities. In addition, the learners will be exposed to various listening, speaking, and reading activities through brainstorming tasks, collaborative writing activities, presentation of arguments, etc., thereby improving these sub-skills in English, too.
The course will run for 6 periods per week for 39 weeks. Each period has a duration of 45 minutes.
2. Subject aims:
- Demonstrate understanding of explicit meanings
- Demonstrate understanding of implicit meanings and attitudes
- Analyse, evaluate and develop facts, ideas and opinions, using appropriate support from the text
- Select and use information for specific purposes
- Articulate experience and express what is thought, felt and imagined
- Organise and structure ideas and opinions for deliberate effect
- Use a range of vocabulary and sentence structures appropriate to context
- Use register appropriate to context
- Make accurate use of spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Demonstrate academic integrity in academic writing (cite others’ ideas and research using correct citation formats and avoiding plagiarism)
- Demonstrate understanding and development of research skills
- Develop the ability, in research and writing, to engage a range of sources and perspectives that illuminate a wider conversation about the topic
- Research skills include the ability to:
- Write a clear and concise statement of purpose for a research paper
- Write sound, logical and useful research questions
- Describe clearly and completely the methods employed in a research study; explain the rationale for methodological decisions
- Locate, analyze, and evaluate relevant sources, including both print-based and digital sources
- Present the findings of your research clearly in both text and, when appropriate, in tables or figures